Monday, September 05, 2005

Great TV Characters

I won't title this list "'Best' TV Characters" because it's too subjective and audacious. Who's really empowered to define the best characters to populate the TV landscape, anyway? Also, there's no way for me to study every show out there, even with my newly hacked Tivo (thanks, WeaKnees.com).

Still, I believe a handful or masterfully realized TV characters from the last decade or so merit my recognition in the blogosphere:

Detective Frank Pembleton, Homicide: Life on the Street

Detective Sgt. Kay Howard, Homicide: Life on the Street

Detective Vic Mackey, The Shield

Captain Monica Rawling, The Shield

Captain David Aceveda, The Shield

Detective Andy Sipowicz, NYPD Blue

Julian Pisano, NYPD Blue

Tommy Gavin, Rescue Me

Kenny Shea, Rescue Me

Al Swearingen, Deadwood

E.B. Farnum, Deadwood

Calamity Jane, Deadwood

Doc Cochran, Deadwood

Ellsworth, Deadwood

Trixie, Deadwood

Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, The Closer

Entire Cast, The Wire

Detective Kima Greggs, The Wire

Thomas Magnum, Magnum P.I.

Plankton, SpongeBob SquarePants


That's right, I've included no one from E.R., Friends, ALF, The A-Team, The Waltons, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Ally McBeal, The West Wing, The Practice, Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives, or Gilligan's Island. You've also noticed there are no noteworthy characters from any of the CSI variations or reality TV on my list.

I think there are some excellent characters on shows like The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, but I didn't consider any of them great enough to compare with those who appear above. Remember, this is very subjective. I'm not the authority on great TV characters.

I also think there are some great characters emerging on shows like Entourage and Prison Break. In time, they'll make my list.

That's my current list of recent great TV characters. As time permits, I'll update my list with comments. In the meantime, I welcome yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home